Oktoberfest has gathered international recognition and status and is celebrated in areas outside Germany too. Nevertheless, for tidbit’s sake, we’re listing the fun facts for your festival here:
Sixteen Funny Facts About Oktoberfest
1. Oktoberfest is held in Munich Germany and it starts in Sept to make the most of the warmer weathers.
2. The first Oktoberfest was held on October twelfth, 1810 and has been arranged for the public commemoration of the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese that took place 5 days earlier to October 12th.
3. The original Oktoberfest comprised a horse race and the tradition lasted till 1960.
4. 2010 has been the 200th anniversary of Oktoberfest.
5. A horse race in historical costume has been held on an opening day, to recall the start and to memorialize the event.
6. Normally six million people attend the festival every year, and it’s growing each year.
7. Commonly a 1-liter beer at the festival, called a stein, will cost attendees 8.50 Euros.
8. Today the largest icon of the event is beer. But Beer was introduced into the festival only in 1880. This was the 1st year a bratwurst manufacturer was invited to the event to provide food.
9. Approximately 7 million liters of beer, 80 thousand liters of wine, 32 thousand liters of sparkling wine, 220 liters of tea/coffee and 1 million liters of water/lemonade will be consumed during the course of the festival.
10. The beer served has on average that a 7.5% to 8% alcohol con camping tent and consequently frequently pass out due to excessive drinking. They forget that the same amount of Beer a lot more alcohol in it. These drunk customers are called “Bierleichen” that is German for “beer corpses”.
11. The festival covers grounds that are about 0.5 km2 in size.
12. The largest beer hall tent has seating capacity – for 10, 900 people. That’s a lot of noise and celebration. The name of this field is as old as this festival.
13. Munich festival halls can seat 94, 000 people.
14. The beers that these Munich breweries produce specifically for Oktoberfest contain 4.5 percent alcohol.
15. The biggest official Oktoberfest celebration in the US is held in Cincinnati, Ohio, and boasts more than half a million visitors into their celebration each year.
16. After 2004 this queues for toilets became so long that this police had to control the entrance. People wanting to Urinate are sent to the front door.